The Province of Ontario announced that it will be funding a portable housing benefit (PHB) that will eventually support up to about 3,000 households across Ontario. The benefit will be available to any household that is eligible for the Special Priority Housing Category (SPHC).
This new Portable Housing Benefit:
- can be used towards the household’s current housing or a unit they move in to
- is ongoing (permanent) with no end or expiry date
- eligibility is reviewed each year based on your income tax filing;
- can increase or decrease annually as income and rental rates change
- can be used for rent anywhere in Ontario
- is paid directly to the household
- the monthly PHB amount will be calculated based on average monthly rent and adjusted family net income.
- is available now
If you received a letter from Housing Connections (Access to Housing) over the summer to review this alternative housing option, contact Housing Connections at 416-397-7438, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. More information can also be found on the City of Toronto’s Shelter Support and Housing Administration’s website, or by visiting a housing help centre.